ptooey, he said...

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Inventory

Let's see

9 bikers
31 miles
1 gazillion minor wrecks
1 concussion (thankfully not in my noggin)


Folks, it was beautiful. Other than a few minor logistical problems (never rely on others for help), I couldn't possibly have had more fun.

My friend and I got to our campsite about 8 PM Friday, set up camp and waited for the 2 guys who were supposed to camp with us and give us a ride to the trailhead Saturday morning. They never showed. We ended up biking to the trailhead about 5 miles up the mountain. Not the way I wanted to start, but it was a pretty ride.

We met up with the 7 others who were to be joining us on the ride at about 9 AM and set off. Morrison Trail is not an easy ride. If I'd have know just how hairy it was, I might have chickened out. I'm really glad I didn't know.

The first few miles were almost completely uphill. At the top, there was an amazing panaramic view of 12,000 foot mountain peaks in all directions. On the way down, it was many miles of white-knuckle, brake lever squeezing, rock dodging, hold on for dear life as you barrel down the side of the mountain. Near the end was a set of switchbacks that drops some 1200 feet of elevation in roughly a mile. That's as near to vertical as I ever care to walk down, much less ride a bike.

My bike chain broke with about 4 1/2 miles to go, but the last 4 miles were covered in river rock an nearly unrideable. I ended up walking the bike out almost as fast as others rode it.

The biggest downside was that one member of our party hit a rock about 10 miles in, and took the impact with his head. Unfortunately, he was also the only member of the party who chose not to wear a helmet. He got up and continued riding, but after an hour or so, he was overcome by nausea. We helped him along for a while and eventually found some people on a 4-wheeler who took him and his bike to the end of the trail where he had a ride waiting. Lesson? Wear a damn helmet.

I was on a bicycle from about 7:30 yesterday morning until 5:30 PM. We then had to drive back to pick up our camping gear and drive back home. We arrived back about 1 AM this morning, so it was a long day. Worth it? You betcha.

Here are a few photos that I snapped with my camera phone. Unfortunately, the photos show in reverse order of the trail. I didn't get as many as I would have liked, but my friend took several hundred with his digital SLR, so there may be more show and tell later.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home