ptooey, he said...

Monday, July 30, 2007

Dealing with Awkward Social Situations

The weekend here was pleasantly packed with activity, and a good time was had by all. For the second week in a row, we got to watch a hot air balloon rally! We watched the balloons launch early Saturday and Sunday mornings from a hill near the local community college. It was a good time, but the kiddos are a bit worn down from lack of sleep.

Saturday night, there was a decent local band playing at the balloon launch site, and after they finished there was to be a balloon glow (they light the propane burners of the balloons around dusk, producing a pleasant glow.)

The mother of one of my brother's best friends is a balloonist, and we ran into her at the balloon glow. We had a nice visit, but she asked about my sister. It's difficult to explain to people that I haven't spoken to her in over a year, that my parents can't even get hold of her, and that we have no idea how she is or what she's doing for a living. I guess there's never going to be an easy, non-awkward way to tell people this when they ask, but I'm considering making up stories.

- She was abducted by aliens in the late nineties and we haven't heard from her since.
- Sister? What sister? (would work best if followed by a Peter Lorre laugh: "Ah-HEH! Ah-HEH!")
- She became a born-again Christian and has run off with a preacher named Roy.
- She had herself cryogenically frozen until the world is free from both Spam luncheon meat and the letter Q.
- *cluck tongue, shake head* She just hasn't been the same since that gopher attack.
- She fell through a wormhole that appeared in her pantry and is now hurtling toward the planet Zweeenbloy.
- She took her Harry Potter obsession just a bit too far - she just up and apparated.


I dunno.

4 Comments:

  • Love your answers. But me? I'd opt for a simple, "Wow, you know, I haven't heard from her in quite some time, so I really can't tell you any news!" Direct. Straight forward. Honest. And it also doesn't disclose any personal stuff. They'll then ask, "Where is she living?" and the response, "No idea!" That should quieten the questions. The out-loud ones, anyway.

    Okay. My work here is done.

    By Blogger bhd, at Mon Jul 30, 11:54:00 AM  

  • Truth be told, that's pretty much verbatim what I've said when it's brought up. But it's just not that fun, y'know?

    By Blogger ptooey, at Mon Jul 30, 01:35:00 PM  

  • I have disappeared like that before. but not without anyone knowing. I would at least have called my sister. hope she is ok.

    as honestly as possible, like you said.

    By Blogger Mermaid Melanie, at Tue Jul 31, 04:30:00 PM  

  • BHD, that's the same answer I give people about my sister...the one whom I haven't heard from in two years and haven't seen in four.

    You just have to tell the truth about some things...

    I am sorely tempted by the gopher attack though...

    By Blogger Beanie, at Tue Jul 31, 07:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home