ptooey, he said...

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I'll Remember What I Want to Remember, So Cram It!

I dropped by one of my former favorite web hangouts again last evening to see what was shaking. I noticed that there had been recent posts in a thread dedicated to remembering the events of 9/11/01, so I gave it a quick read.

Among the expected heartfelt posts were a few others urging us as Americans to quit attributing so much significance to the events of that day, and to remember that on a global scale, the number of deaths experienced here on 9/11/01 can be matched in number on any given day. The latter is certainly a valid point. We should remember how good we've got it every single day of our lives.

But, what I think these folks are losing sight of is how many people were affected by those attacks, both directly and indirectly. Granted, I don't know if there's any tangible benefit to reliving the event year after year, but speaking strictly for myself I find it extremely difficult not to.

Because of those people and those planes, I lost 2 people who were close to me. It changed my life forever. I cannot forget that, and I most certainly don't want to.

I don't think that there are many folks left who still feel that the war in Iraq was the right course to take, or more to the point that it wasn't a horrific, misguided mistake at the very least. Most people are at least bright enough to grasp that, even if their backgrounds and ideals differ.

I find that my lack of global perspective is not due solely to ignorance, nor is it due to bigotry or a sense of superiority coupled with warmongering nationalism. More likely, it's due to the fact that I am a relatively simple man, and I lead a relatively simple life. My obligations to my family eclipse most other pursuits. My contribution to the planet will likely be no more than to do my best to raise my children well and teach them to respect others and do what is right. And I'm perfectly okay with that. I also don't think that I'm the only person around working toward the same goals.

So, I think I'll continue to mentally mark the day each year. If not for attacks, I might still be able to hoist a couple of mugs with Robert, comparing our brews. I might still be able to joke and trade music with Kyle. I don't want to forget that fact.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home