ptooey, he said...

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Geeklife v1.0

Last week, my wife and I each got new cellular phones. This time around, it was a major event for me. This thing is wicked bitchin'.

About 6 years ago, we decided to ditch our landline and go cellular only. Our landline had become so problematic that it was essentially unusable. The phones would crackle with static, rendering conversation difficult or impossible. Worse yet, our dialup internet connection was having a fit with the poor signal quality. When we called the phone company to fix the lines, they'd say something like "Damn squirrels." They'd jiggle a few connections on the black box on the telephone pole, climb down and leave. Most of the time the signal would improve for a day or so, then right back to square one (damn squirrels!). We decided that it wasn't worth paying for the service, so we each got a cell phone and we signed up for cable internet access (bonus!).

We started out with very utilitarian phones and thought they were just fine. Two years ago, we got LG VX6000s. They came equipped with a camera and with a bit of hacking, I was able to use them to check our e-mail and upload photos to the computer. These things were great as phones. Tough as nails, and completely reliable. The image quality of the pictures left a lot to be desired, but the cameras got used far more than I would have expected.

Our service provider allows us $100 to upgrade phones every 2 years. In the past, I would have shrugged it off and continued with my VX6000. I saw the replacement model available (the VX8300) and its feature list a couple of months ago and decided that I wanted one.

The phone comes with a 1.3 MP camera (with video capability) that takes reasonably decent photos, a built-in mp3 player, and expandable memory. It's just so neat I want to caress it constantly. I bought a little adapter that allows me to listen to the mp3s from the phone in my car. It's got tiny stereo speakers, so I can fire it up and listen to music wherever and whenever I want. I've got a data cable now so I can transfer photos from it to the computer or use the phone to connect my laptop to the internet. With a little more hacking, I'm able to access the 'net from the phone. I've ordered 1 GB memory cards for mine and the wife's. I'm in love.

The irony? I hate telephones. I don't like to talk on them much at all. I need to have one, so I got me an mp3 player that surfs the net and takes pictures. Oh, and sometimes my wife calls me on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home