ptooey, he said...

Monday, February 12, 2007

Perils of the Digital Age

A year or so ago, we had a computer crash on us. Bear in mind that in our house we have "several" redundancies in that department, so it shouldn't have been a big deal. But this one happened to have a lot of our digital photos on it. Basically, every picture we had taken of A from birth to about 3 years was on this thing, so it was more than a bit of a bummer.

The computer in question had a power supply basically blow up, and the mother board was nice and toasty. I had pulled out the hard drive at the time and stuck it in a drawer. I cannibalized what I could off of the machine and sort of forgot about the HDD.

Yesterday I was in one of the local office stores, and saw an external hard drive case. I picked it up and plunked the drive from our deceased machine into it.

Lo and behold, we have all of our photos back! I'm going to make copies of all of our stuff on another drive and burn a couple of DVDs of them. This isn't going to happen again.

4 Comments:

  • I burn everything to DVD, and CDs before we got new computers with DVD burners in them.

    We have also started copying them to an external HD, too.

    I have a few months of new stuff on this computer. I need to back it up soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Feb 12, 04:19:00 PM  

  • Yeah, what Allan said.

    And how cool is it that you got your photos back!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Feb 12, 04:43:00 PM  

  • doing the very happy parent dance for you! that is excellent. I believe that I am going to have to get an external drive just for my photos and music. :sighs:

    By Blogger Mermaid Melanie, at Tue Feb 20, 03:16:00 PM  

  • Phew! I'm so happy you got your photos back!

    By Blogger An Urban Femme, at Wed Feb 21, 03:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home