ptooey, he said...

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Boom/Bust Rollercoaster Meets the Heavenly Telephone Repairman

The economy of my home state is heavily dependent on the mineral industry. As a result, there is a very exaggerated boom/bust cycle. The last real energy boom for our state petered out in the early eighties, meaning I've lived most of my life in a depressed economy.

When I was in grade school, I remember years where the class size would reduce by nearly half over the course of the school year as people lost their jobs and moved from the area. We had close family friends who lived in Jeffrey City, so I got to witness a ghost town happening.

Right now, we're at the opposite end of the cycle. Economic times here are as good as I've ever seen. People actually have money. Well, not me, but I KNOW people who have money. Home prices have more than doubled since we moved back in 1998. New houses are being built as quickly as possible due to the large numbers of people moving to the area.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C had mentioned a couple of weeks ago that her class was to have a new student. He came to class for the first time yesterday. His family moved from Bakersfield, CA. His mother has never lived outside of California, and she has never driven in the snow before. My wife visited with her a little bit yesterday while picking C up from school. The new student's mother actually asked if my wife could pick her son up and drive him to school because she was too afraid to drive on the snowpacked streets. While I suppose that it would be a bit of an adjustment to get used to the snow, it seems like it would be far harder for me to put my child in the car with a complete stranger than it would be to make an adjustment in my driving habits.

The lady called my wife on the phone last night to finalize plans. While visiting, the new kid's mom happened to mention that she was afraid that she'd be unable to call because her phone had been malfunctioning. Apparently, she had prayed that the phone start to work and it finally did. Yes, Divine Providence fixes broken phones.

3 Comments:

  • God heals your TV, too. But only if you send money to Ernest Angley.

    By Blogger Beanie, at Wed Jan 24, 11:12:00 AM  

  • He some televangelist or somesuch?

    hooboy! :banjo:

    By Blogger ptooey, at Wed Jan 24, 02:41:00 PM  

  • My favorite Ernest moment was the day he said that each person who sends a gift of love today will receive an "Auto-graphed Pic-ture of Je-sus Christ, in the Cen-ter of the World"

    heehee. What wonderful cheese, Grommit!

    By Blogger Beanie, at Thu Jan 25, 08:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home