ptooey, he said...

Friday, September 01, 2006

9/11/01

My day started like any other day, I suppose. I'm a very early riser, so I was up well before the sun came up. I guzzled some coffee and got ready to go to work at the lab. As was my habit, I flipped on CNN Headline News with the volume turned all the way down so as to not wake the rest of the house.

I turned the sound on after just a few seconds. The scene on television was baffling and scary. A plane had actually run into the World Trade Center. We all know the story.

What struck me most at the time was the realization of how disconnected the people reporting the news were. The ones providing the information were possibly even more confused than the ones receiving it. I watched the live video of the second plane hitting the South Tower. I could see the North Tower smoldering away as the second plane hit. The reporters thought it was a replay of the first plane for several minutes.

Even before the towers collapsed, the effects were rippling to my little town nearly 2000 miles away. When I left for work, sirens were blaring everywhere. Very, very few cars were on the streets.

The secretary at the lab brought in a small portable black and white television, and we spent most of the workday watching it. Like the rest of the country, I was shocked, confused, rattled. It was awful to think about the scope of the attack, and the lives lost.

I had no idea at the time how much the events of that day would indirectly change my life forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home