ptooey, he said...

Friday, April 27, 2007

Credo

My wife, hiccup, and I like to watch movies. Our taste in films is admittedly a bit off-kilter, and that's just the way we like it. We generally shoot for bottom-of-the-barrel B-movies. Mid-'50s sci-fi with giant radioactive insects are the best, but we've found that we've watched so many of them that it's getting difficult to find anything new. We've been forced to branch out a bit.

Lately, we've been on a martial arts movie kick. I really like these films. They're simple, sure, and the plots are laughably predictable. But they're fun. There's something to be said for movies that have no message, and are meant only for entertainment. Also, even in the cheesiest low budget ones, the action scenes can be pretty impressive. Those cats really ARE fast as lightning.

I find the dialogue in these to be great fun, particularly those that have been translated and redubbed with English-speaking voice actors. The other night we watched a flick called Invincible. It starred, believe it or not, a Bruce Lee impersonator who billed himself as Bruce Lee, Bruce Li or Dragon Lee, depending on the film. It was a fun movie to watch - cheesy and packed with great phony sound effects.

During one moving scene, our hero consulted with his mother as he was about to go out and avenge death/defend honor/kick ass, and the mother pleaded with him not to go, delivering a line with such raw voice actor overemotion that I find myself still cracking up about it. I have found my new motto in life, for I too am "...only one man, and I don't know ANY kung fu."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home