ptooey, he said...

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Spewing Forth Various Opinions

I happened across a blog last year written by the aunt of one of the other runners who was killed in the same accident as my brother. I stumbled across it again last night. Sometimes it's interesting to read things from a different perspective. The blogger in question is an ultra-conservative, ultra-Christian woman who repeatedly voices outright hate for my home state. A very different perspective, indeed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My wife called a little bit ago. She had spoken with her mother. On Sunday afternoon, her parents went and bought a new desktop computer. In any other household, I would consider this to be a happy occasion, ranking somewhere slightly below the birth of a baby. But, the in-laws are the sort of people who should not be allowed to own or operate a computer.

-They will not connect their computers to the internet for fear of the machine getting a virus.
-They have absolutely no idea what the mythical virus might do to their computer.
-They will pay for antivirus software for the computer that will never be connected to a phone line.
-They only use the computer for bookkeeping.
-They will never update the software, not even security updates to the operating system.
-If they have any problems with the machine, they will call me.
-If they have any problems after they have called me, they will blame me.


They now own two laptops (both less than 2 years old) and the new desktop. It has never occurred to them that they could also use one of the laptops to do books. They use the laptops exclusively for storing their digital photos.

While I was helping my father-in-law Saturday morning, he wanted me to install a new DVD/RW drive in his clinic computer. I did the installation. My mother-in-law became very angry that I had "added new software" to the computer. What I had added was the software driver for the new DVD-ROM drive.

I rest my case.

3 Comments:

  • I would say, sorry. everytime I help you with something you whine complain or blame. hire a tech!

    then you get to hear for hours how someone other than you messed up thier computers.

    By Blogger Mermaid Melanie, at Wed Oct 18, 09:40:00 AM  

  • Oy is right. I forgot to mention that Sunday my MIL asked if it's true that every time you visit a website, they "have" your e-mail address. She would not accept the correct answer (NO!), even after an explanation of IP adresses, ISPs, and tracking cookies.

    Mel - That's what I said THIS time. Then they guilt-tripped my wife.

    By Blogger ptooey, at Wed Oct 18, 10:03:00 AM  

  • YIKES! sighs. some people are never pleased. ever.

    By Blogger Mermaid Melanie, at Thu Oct 19, 04:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home